Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Carrot and Beet Slaw

For this year's Purim vegetarian meal, I raided my very productive garden and used the other half of the cabbage from St. Patrick's Day.  It was my first beets, and a way to use another carrot.  I love how awesome the carrots are coming out, but I need to get them pulled and eaten so I can plant the next round that I have starting in seed trays in the kitchen window.

I'm finding more and more recipes on The Chew.  Maybe it's because they've been around long enough to start popping up on searches.  I don't seek out their recipes, but this one happened to use ingredients I had on hand or could come up with an equivalent.  Not having to shop will always move a recipe to the top of my list.

I was a bit skeptical about a slaw without dairy or mayo.  This turned out to be a lot like sunomono, and very refreshing.  The sugar comes from the beets and carrots, so you don't have to add anything other than a little honey, which is more for flavor than sweetness.  I ended up with a higher proportion of cabbage and less beets, but that worked because the beets didn't bleed all over everything until it was one uniform color.

And the V-slicer attachments made it super easy to make beautiful julienne slices with the beets and carrots, as long as I had it out for the cabbage anyway.  A box grater or the shredder on a food processor would be just as good if you don't feel like using knife skills.

*1/2 medium cabbage
*2 medium carrots
*2 beets
*zest and juice of 2 lemons
*2 Tb rice vinegar
1/4 C vegetable oil (not olive oil, because it solidifies in the fridge)
*2 tsp snipped chives or minced onion
*1 Tb honey
*1" fresh ginger, peeled and grated, or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp chili flakes (optional)

1.  Thinly slice cabbage and discard core.  Peel carrots (peeling beets optional) and slice carrots and beets into a julienne, or matchsticks if you want more crunch.  Rinse beets in a strainer to get out some of the juice.

2.  Toss together cabbage, carrots, beets, lemon zest, and onion in a large bowl.

3.  In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, oil, honey, and ginger.  Taste and add salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste.

4.  Pour dressing over vegetables.  Toss to coat evenly.  Refrigerate for several hours or overnight to marinate before serving.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.