Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Pesto Deviled Eggs

I don't normally watch Rachael Ray, but I caught the last few minutes of an episode about different ways to devil an egg.  The one that stuck out the most was pesto.  It just seems like such a natural combination, I don't know why I didn't think of it before.  Maybe because I'm always pushing the limits of paprika usage when I make mine.

Eggs got expensive all of a sudden.  The avian flu has decimated bird populations across the country.  You're looking at well over $4 per dozen.  If I hadn't already made the pesto, I probably would have changed the tea menu.

I feel like it's a cop-out when a post is all links, but I've already covered a lot of this recipe.  For Rachael's original version, including her fresh-herb pesto recipe, here's the link.

1/2 C dried basil pesto
12 hard-boiled eggs
fresh basil leaves for garnish
mayo as needed

1.  Peel cooled eggs and slice in half lengthwise.  The ones in the link's photo are pretty, but you only get one serving per egg that way.  Also, deviled-egg trays are designed for a lengthwise cut.  Pop out the yolks into a bowl and place the whites on the serving tray.

2.  Mash the yolks with the pesto.  Whip mixture with an electric beater.  If you want it creamier, add mayonnaise in small quantities until desired consistency is achieved.  I used about one tablespoon just to get it into a paste.  For creaminess, you would require at least another tablespoon.

3.  Fill a plastic storage bag with the mixture.  Either simply snip off a lower corner to create a disposable pastry bag or insert a tip prior to filling, and then snip off the corner.  I'll be honest, the mixture was so stiff I popped two bags before switching to a proper pastry bag, which is much stronger.  Pipe filling into cavities and garnish with basil leaves.  Keep chilled until ready to serve.

Makes 2 dozen, about 12 servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.