last time was just simmered after a light sauté. Really, I ought to finish the last two jars of fish stock before filling more quart jars, but I do use vegetable stock more often.
After lining a baking sheet with foil, I dumped the contents of the bag into the stockpot so I could toss them in oil. Probably should have defrosted them first. Once they were lightly coated with oil, I spread them out on the baking sheet. It was interesting to see the kinds of things I had saved. There were ends of onions, green onions, red onions, shallots, and carrots, the green part of a leek, about half an artichoke, and a lot of kale ribs. I'm counting the kale as a suitable substitute for celery. After roasting them at 375º for about an hour, they smelled wonderful and looked like this:
I decided to strain this batch through my cheese-making cloth, which is a piece of bleached cotton fabric, to see just how pure I could get it. Using this method, I ended up with three jars of tea-colored broth that smelled every bit like the roasted veggies had out of the oven. I only filled the jars to the 800ml mark because you're not really supposed to put quart jars in the freezer and I knew the broth was going to expand a lot. That makes the yield about 2-1/2 quarts, or 5 cups.
Guess I'll start a new broth bag. I'm thinking chicken for the next batch, or maybe get some of those beef soup bones that I always see in the market and never buy.