Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Greek 8-Layer Dip

Yes, I'm running a little behind on the posts.  There were a lot of Thanksgiving leftovers.

Despite my best attempts, Techie Smurf and his family left a few foodstuffs behind, including a box of Brown Rice Triscuits.  I needed something to do with them to avoid mindless munching.  I was going to make a Mexican-style layered dip, but I was out of pintos to soak.  I did have some garbanzo beans, and so this dip was born.

I had fun, and stacked on a couple more ingredients than originally intended.  It was a bit expensive, but I hadn't been grocery shopping in almost two weeks and could afford it.  I even found pre-sliced and pitted Kalamata olives!  Sprouts is way too much fun.

2/3 C dried garbanzo beans (or 1 can cooked)
6 oz plain Greek yogurt
*1 C diced tomatoes
*2 stalks green onion, chopped
1/2 C kalamata (or your favorite) olives, sliced or chopped
6 oz marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1/2 C crumbled feta cheese
2 Tb pine nuts, toasted

1.  If cooking, soak garbanzo beans overnight.  Drain, place in a casserole, add 2 C water, and bake at 300º for three hours.  I used leftover chicken broth as the cooking liquid.  You could add salt, cumin, garlic, or other seasonings.  Drain.

2.  If using canned beans, drain and rinse.  Now you're caught up to the cooked team.  Mash beans with a fork until a chunky paste forms.  Spread on the bottom of a loaf pan or other clear, steep-sided serving dish.

3.  The next layer is the yogurt.  This makes the beans seem less dry in the layered scheme of things.  Sprinkle tomatoes next, then finely chopped green onion.  Top that with the olives.  The layer of artichokes was thicker than the three previous, and served as a more defined break in the flavors.  Next comes the crumbled feta, and lastly a light sprinkling of pine nuts.

4.  Cover and chill for at least an hour, to let flavors meld.  I know it seems like there aren't any seasonings in this, but the feta has salt and the olives and artichoke hearts have been marinated in vinegar and spices.

5.  Serve with crackers and/or crudités.

Serves about 12 as an appetizer dip

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.