Saturday, October 19, 2013

Sausage & Onion Crepes with Apple

I keep forgetting that the green onions are doing so well.  They were struggling for the better part of the summer, but are getting pretty big.  The broccoli rebounded enough from its hatchet job to put out a couple of florets, but not enough to star in a meal.  Still haven't gotten any decent Brussels sprouts, but the plant is thriving.  And in a surprise moment, the artichoke has already started to grow back.  I'm going to credit the coffee grounds I've been using as mulch and not any improved gardening ability on my part.  In fact, the more I forget that I have a vegetable garden, the better it seems to grow.

At one point, we had an electric crepe pan.  I vaguely remember it, and still have the instruction book.  It's dated 1976, and so are the recipes in it.  Most of the recipes are smothered in rich sauces, which taste great but are not what I had in mind today.

I need to use the green onions before they grow into actual bulbs, and none of those recipes use them in any significant quantity.  I found a recipe I liked online by searching for "savory galette fillings".  It was a bit complicated and used some things I didn't like, but it was a good starting point.  By subbing in the onions for leeks and various other minor changes, I came up with this recipe.  I'm not using any sauce because the goat cheese really takes the place of one, with the same creaminess and unexpected flavor contrast.

1 batch galettes (about 8)
1/2 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage (pork or chicken)
*1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
*1 Gala or Fuji apple, diced
3 stems kale
salt to taste
4 oz chevre, crumbled

1.  Prepare galettes and set aside, keeping warm.

2.  Remove sausage from casing and brown over medium heat in a 10" skillet, using the fat from them to cook the onions at the same time.

3.  Once sausage is browned, add the diced apple and continue to cook until apples soften.  This is a good time to prepare the kale: rinse, cut or tear from the main stem, and chiffonnade or finely chop the greens.  Add kale and a little salt and cook until thoroughly wilted and there is little moisture left in the pan.  Taste and add more salt if necessary.  I'm assuming the sausage is sufficiently seasoned not to add any pepper or other seasonings.

4.  Divide filling between crepes and fold over.  Top with cheese crumbles and serve hot.  You can even pass them briefly under the broiler first to brown the cheese and make the crepes crispy.

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.