Tuesday, October 22, 2013

London Broil

I had half a piece of meat labelled "London Broil" in the freezer.  I think I used the first pound of it in a stir-fry.  One night, I actually remembered to marinate it for the next day, so here we go with a post.

I found a good recipe online, but I wasn't thinking ahead.  The marinade called for olive oil, and I blindly went along.  If you put olive oil in the fridge, it's going to harden, and not infuse the meat.  I'm writing it here as vegetable oil, which does not glob up when cold.

This gets a "gardening" label because I added some broccoli to the leftover pasta primavera I had with the meat.  Gotta clean out the fridge and freezer before buying the turkey.  I forgot/ignored the plant until the florets grew into bouquets.  I hope they do it again for the centerpiece the next time I have people over.  I also found photos of my cherry tomato plant from when I was six.  That thing was enormous - at least four times the size of this summer's - and put out clusters of six or more tomatoes at a time!  No wonder I was so proud of it and so upset when the bugs killed it.

2 lbs "london broil" meat (flank steak or top round)
*1/4 C balsamic vinegar
2 Tb vegetable oil
*4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
*1 tsp dried rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

1.  The night before, whisk together vinegar, oil, garlic, and rosemary in a small bowl.  Score the steak in a diamond pattern to aid the marinade in infusing the meat.  Place steak and marinade in a one-gallon plastic bag and seal, getting out most of the air.  Place on a plate or baking dish, in case the bag leaks, and refrigerate.  Turn every few hours to let the marinade coat all sides.

2.  Either fire up the grill or preheat the broiler.  Remove meat from bag and place on a broiler pan if using the oven.  Coat both sides with salt and pepper.  Broil/grill about 8 inches from heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, until a thermometer reaches at least 135º in the thickest part of the steak (for rare to medium-rare).  Allow to rest about 5 minutes, then slice thinly across the grain.

Makes about 6 servings

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.