Friday, June 21, 2013

Gluten-Free Apple Tart

No, I have not joined the gluten-free craze.  Like Atkins and the Zone, this diet will eventually pass as a fad.  After the hard crust on the Pork Pie for the tea, I thought I'd pick a crust for dessert that I knew would come out softer... OK, I didn't have enough white flour for everything on the menu and didn't feel like going back to the market.  Happy?

I found the recipe on a Vegan recipe site, and it sounded worth a try.  This is just a pie crust made out of buckwheat flour instead of all-purpose, and no flour mixed in with the apples.  The tart isn't vegan because I put a bit of butter on the apples, but the crust is.

As for taste, I wasn't terribly impressed with the crust.  The texture was similar to a graham-cracker crust, but not as flavorful.  It did make a beautiful contrast to the light flesh of the apples.  It also required quite a bit of water to stick together properly, being gluten-free.  Because I'm a gluten addict, I probably won't make it again, but it is certainly more healthy than a white pastry crust.

*1-1/2 C buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C vegetable shortening
3 Tb (or more) cold water
2 Tb lemon juice
3 apples, cored and thinly sliced
2 Tb sugar
1 Tb brown sugar
*1 Tb cornstarch
2 Tb butter

1.  In a small bowl, stir together flour and salt.  Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add cold water a tablespoon at a time until mixture clumps together.  Press into 9" tart pan with removable rim and flute the edges.

2.  Preheat oven to 375º.  Toss apple slices in lemon juice.  Arrange slices evenly in tart pan in a pretty pattern.  In a small bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, and cornstarch.  Sprinkle over apples.  Dot top with bits of butter.

3.  Bake for 30 minutes, then check to see if the apples are cooked.  If not, add 10 minutes more.  Allow to cool in pan to room temperature.  Carefully remove outer ring and slide onto serving platter.

Serves 8-10

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.