Friday, July 6, 2012

Italian Parsley Salad

That bunch of parsley I bought when I made the kale salad was going to go bad if I didn't do something.  I could have done a mixed-herb thing, but the dandelions still aren't big enough to eat.  (Really?  I must be doing something wrong.)

I used Alton Brown's recipe as a starting point, then went off on my own tangent so I wouldn't have to buy anything.  The oranges are off my tree.  Since 95% of what that tree puts out is giant lemons, I keep forgetting that it's a grafted citrus with five species on it.  The lime and grapefruit never bear fruit, but the Valencia and Navel occasionally produce something.  I had three Valencias ready to pick and used two of them for the salad.

This is a simple salad that can be tossed together with ingredients on hand.  No parsley?  Use fresh spinach or baby greens.  If you don't have an orange lying around, feel free to substitute apple, pear, or almost any fruit.  The lemon juice in the dressing will keep the fruit from turning colors for a day or two.  I was having this with the swai, and parsley is a natural breath freshener.  If you're having any kind of stinky foods in your meal, putting parsley in one of the sides is a subtle way to reduce the breath factor.

*1 bunch Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
2 Valencia oranges
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp honey
1 Tb olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Remove parsley leaves from main stems.  It's ok if the thinner stems are intact.  Peel oranges and either tear into sections or cut into bite-sized pieces.  Toss together in a bowl.

2.  In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.  Pour over salad and toss to coat.  Serve chilled.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.