Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bacon and Apple Pancakes

I bought some bacon trimmings because they were cheap.  I thought I'd make bread or scones with them.  Then I got an idea to put them in pancakes.  And while I was at it, put apples in there, too.

I love the internet.  Turns out, this is a Scandinavian specialty.  There are two ways to make it.  One is to make the pancake first, then top it with the bacon & apple mixture.  I chose to mix the flavorings into the batter.  It isn't as pretty, but it works.  Makes it easier to freeze the leftovers for later.  If there are any....

I'm basing this on Paula Deen's recipe.  She considers butter to be a food group all on its own.  Yes, it adds flavor and richness, but I can't do it and live with myself.  My version also cooks the apples.  And I diced them instead of grating.  It was 6 am.  I'm not grating anything that early.

As the pancakes were frying, I realized it would have been even better if I'd put in 1/4 C diced onion.  I'm not putting this in the recipe now because I haven't tried it.  Just leaving it as an option.

1-1/2 C flour
1 Tb sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
3/4 C milk
1/4 C butter, melted
1/2 lb bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 apples, petite diced
oil for frying

1.  In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat.  When it is about half done, add the apples.  Stir in and continue to cook until bacon is done and apples are soft.  Set aside to cool slightly.

2.  In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.  In a small bowl, beat together milk, eggs, and butter.  Combine the mixes and let batter stand 10 minutes.  Fold in bacon & apple mixture until evenly distributed.

3.  Preheat skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 Tb oil.  Spoon batter in 1/4 C mounds and cook until underside browns, about 4 minutes.  Flip and cook other side until browned.  Set on warm, paper-towel lined plate until ready to serve.  Serve hot with maple syrup.

Seves 4 to 6

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.