Saturday, April 9, 2011

Recession Garden

Now that I have a real back yard with good sun exposure, not just an enclosed patio, I decided to grow some vegetables. I had a cherry tomato plant when I was young that lasted several years, and grew enough beans one summer to have with a couple of meals. That, and the mint, is the sum total of my success at farming.

I started small this year. If this planting goes well, I'll expand next year. We have Roma tomatoes - my favorite kind, eggplant, and artichokes.

Part of the point of having a vegetable garden is to save money. The plants, potting soil, and one pot (I had the other two) cost me $33. At current market prices, I estimate that these plants need to yield 10 lbs of tomatoes and 3 each of eggplant and artichoke for me to break even. That doesn't sound like much, but for me it will be a small miracle.

If this does work out, look for many Italian and Mediterranean recipes this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.