Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Cream Corn

I bought some corn for the 4th of July, then decided that I already had enough food and it would be redundant to have corn for dinner and polenta for dessert.  So, I had to decide what to do with it.  The next week, I realized that I really like creamed corn and had never made it from scratch.  A blog post is born.

I started with scaling down the Neely's recipe, mostly because I had some saved bacon grease in the fridge.  I used a larger proportion of cream than they did.  It was almost a cream corn soup, which was pretty awesome, but required a bowl for serving.  I also accidentally made the sauce too thick and had to add a lot of water as things went along.  I'm hoping to fix that here so there isn't more sauce than corn.

2 ears of corn
1 Tb bacon grease
2 Tb flour
1/2 C heavy cream
2 tsp sugar
water as needed
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Remove husks from corn and scrub off silk.  Cut off tips and stand an ear upside-down in a bowl.  Holding the ear by the base and using a very sharp knife, cut straight down to remove kernels from cob.  Once the kernels are off, flip the knife to the dull side and scrape down again to get out any pulpy juice you missed.  Discard cobs.  Stir in cream, sugar, salt, and pepper.

2.  Melt bacon grease in a medium skillet.  Add flour and stir in to make a roux.  Add corn mixture and stir until roux dissolves.  Continue to cook over medium heat until mixture thickens.  Start to add water as necessary to maintain the consistency you want.  Simmer until corn is softened, about 30 minutes.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.