Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sloppy Moussaka

When I was still trying to avoid chewing on my temporary crown, I considered making sloppy joes.  Then I wondered what new thing I could make with ground lamb.  That evolved into a joke about Sloppy Moussaka.  After a bit, I realized there was no reason I couldn't do that.

This is the cheating, not from scratch version.  Store bought sauces, so it only takes half an hour to make.  I did try to do the oven-roasted eggplant for the slices, and it didn't taste as good as frying them.  I tried.

1 lb ground lamb
1 C tomato-based pasta sauce
1/2 C alfredo sauce
1/4 C grated parmesan
8 hamburger buns
1 small eggplant
oil for frying

1.  Slice eggplant crosswise, thinly.  Sprinkle lightly with salt and let sit 10 minutes to leach out some of the moisture.  Pat dry with paper towels.

2.  Fry eggplant slices in a skillet in 1/4" vegetable oil until lightly browned.  Remove to paper towels to drain.

3.  In a large skillet, brown lamb, chopping into small pieces.  Drain off excess fat and add tomato pasta sauce.  Stir to coat, and add more sauce if necessary.

4.  Lightly toast hamburger buns and set the bottom halves on a cookie sheet.  Start preheating broiler.  Cover bottom of buns with half of the fried eggplant slices.  Divide meat mixture on top, then top with remaining eggplant.  Spoon on about a tablespoon of alfredo sauce on each, then sprinkle with parmesan.

5.  Broil until parmesan gets toasty.  Transfer to plates.  The buns I bought were kind of small, so two were a serving.  Serve either with top bun on the sandwich or on the side.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.