Thursday, March 8, 2012

White Bean Hummus

I've decided I don't really like hummus made with garbanzo beans.  I like the flavor of tahini and garlic.  Whatever I blend with it, like eggplant or beans, defines the flavor profile of the dip.

Using Navy or Great Northern beans also ups the fiber and protein content of the dip.  Can't do anything about the fat; that's in the sesame paste.

When Techie Smurf was visiting, I realized one thing I do different in this house as opposed to my old apartment: I don't buy lemon juice.  He was looking for some, so I just went out back and got a lemon off the tree.

If you don't like soaking beans, just buy canned and rinse them very well.  I couldn't find any canned white beans that hadn't been turned into BBQ baked beans.

3/4 C dry white beans like Navy or Great Northern
1/4 C tahini paste
4 cloves garlic
1/4 C lemon juice
salt to taste
olive oil as needed
paprika for garnish

1.  In a saucepan, cover dry beans with 2" of water.  Allow to soak 8 hours or overnight.

2.  Drain water from beans and add fresh.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.  Cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until beans are very tender.  Drain.

3.  Place beans in food processor with tahini, garlic and lemon juice.  Pulse to combine, then run on full until smooth.  Taste and add salt if necessary.  If too thick, drizzle in olive oil while processor is running.

4.  Chill before serving.  Place in serving bowl and dust with paprika, if desired.

Makes about 1-1/2 cups

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.