Monday, October 24, 2022

Sloppy Joes

Ok, so in the 12 years of this blog I've never posted this recipe because it is so basic.  Yet, whenever I casually mention that I'm making sloppy joes, someone inevitably asks what they are.  Really?  Are they not a thing anymore?

I don't think I ever "learned" how to make them.  It just made sense to throw sauce and ground beef together to get the desired result.  This is going to come across as more of a method than a recipe.  I'm going to hope new home cooks find it useful.

1 lb 80/20 ground beef
*1-1/2 C spaghetti sauce of choice
4 hamburger buns

1.  In a 10" skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat.  When there's very little pink left, drain off the fat, then cook the rest of the way.  You do want some fat for flavor and moisture, but not a pool of it.

2.  Add the pasta sauce and continue to heat.  If desired, doctor it up with herbs, onions, or whatever else you tend to add to your sauce.

3.  While the sauce is heating, toast the buns.  A light toast will keep them from getting soggy too fast.

4.  Plate the buns, then spoon meat sauce on top of them.  Serve hot.  I usually do them open-faced with utensils, but these can also be picked up as a "sloppy" burger.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.