Sunday, June 19, 2022

Brussels Sprouts with Mustard-Orange Vinaigrette

I finally roasted up that last pound of lamb in the freezer.  And you have to make something pretty and fun for side dishes when you have lamb.

This is a variation on an idea from the L.A. Times.  I don't even read half of the recipes in their weekly newsletter, just the basic descriptions.  This one suggested lightly steamed asparagus with an overly complicated vinaigrette.  The picture was pretty, and I had an orange left on the tree, so here goes a much easier version.

I was originally going to do this with fresh veggies.  The green beans looked hideous.  Asparagus was $5 a pound.  The fresh Brussels sprouts weren't terrible, but by then I was fed up with the produce options and had pretty much made up my mind to use frozen.  I had picked up a lot of frozen veggies the week before when they were 77¢ a bag.  I've decided to reduce my stock-up levels, but will still buy the maximum allowed of an extreme deal that will never happen again.  It would be really nice to get everything off the top shelf of the pantry again.

*1 small orange
*1 Tb grainy mustard
1 Tb olive oil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 12 oz bag frozen Brussels sprouts or 1 lb fresh

1.  To make the dressing, zest and juice the orange.  I actually used two very small Valencia oranges off my tree.  Place in a small, sealable container with the mustard, oil, and oregano.  Close the lid and shake vigorously to make the vinaigrette.  Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.  Also makes a good marinade for chicken or fish.

2.  For frozen, cook according to package directions.  For fresh, trim sprouts and place in 1/2" of water or on a steaming tray in a saucepan.  Bring water to a low boil and steam for 10 minutes, just to get them partially softened but not mushy.  Drain.

3.  Toss together sprouts and dressing.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.