Saturday, May 14, 2022

Tilapia with Preserved Lemons

I decided to make colcannon for one of my meals during Passover, which meant that it was a dairy meal.  For some reason, Ashkenaz Jews don't consider fish a meat, so I made fish with it.  I tend to eat a lot of fish during Passover so I can still have dairy, and because I've been eating less meat in general.

The best deal at the market was a pouch of frozen tilapia.  While not my favorite fish, or even favorite white fish, I decided to make the best of it.

What I threw together without a plan was actually pretty good: pan-fried, lightly seasoned, with a lemon cream sauce and a light sprinkle of cilantro.  I'll make the horseradish optional, but it really did brighten up things.  It's so funny how Jewish people go crazy over horseradish at Passover, like we've been hiding a secret condiment the rest of the year.  I finally gave up refilling the dish and just put the jar on the table during Seder.

You can use lemon zest for the preserved lemon, but I really liked the texture of it.  I soaked the peels for a day first to reduce the saltiness.  If you only rinse them, then don't add salt to the fish.

4 tilapia fillets
2 Tb olive oil
salt and white pepper to taste
*1/2 preserved lemon peel, sliced, or zest of one lemon
*1 tsp prepared horseradish, optional
1/2 C water
*1/2 C heavy cream
*2 Tb chopped cilantro, optional

1.  Drizzle oil onto a large skillet and preheat over medium until the oil moves easily.

2.  Lay the fillets in the hot oil, then season lightly with salt and pepper.  Cook until the bottoms are crispy and the fish is cooked about halfway, 4-6 minutes.  While that's happening, stir the lemon and horseradish into the water so it is distributed evenly later.

3.  Flip fillets, then add lemon, horseradish, water, and cilantro to the pan.  Continue to cook until the tilapia is cooked through, about 5 more minutes. 

4.  Pour the cream on top of the fish and cook just to warm.  You don't want to boil the cream, or it might curdle with the acidic ingredients.  Serve immediately.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.