Sunday, October 10, 2021

Adzuki Bean Summer Rolls

Ok, so it's fall, but these rolls are filled with less summery things.  I'm trying to justify the things in the pantry, including the rice wrappers I decided against for the tea.

To be different, I tried frying some of the rolls.  I liked the texture, and it didn't destroy the lettuce as I had assumed it would.  The only problem was that I'm not great at wrapping the rolls, and only a couple were done well enough to survive a trip through the oil.  I was sure the other two would fall apart and didn't even try.

My side dishes for this vegetarian version were the last jar of this year's kimchi and some Campari tomatoes with bleu cheese dressing to cut the spice of the leftover Thai satay sauce that I used instead of making peanut sauce.  That stuff is spicier than I remembered, but I didn't break out.  There's a good chance I'm not going to finish the jar.  Really hate throwing out food.  Maybe someone at work wants it.

I pulled the last of the regrown green onions.  Wish I'd taken a picture of it next to a yardstick.  It was starting to grow a bulb.  I'm definitely doing this again, starting with whenever I buy a bunch of green onions.  The celery is still going strong.  Once I'm sure it isn't going to get over 80º again, I'll plant the sprouted garlic cloves living in the fridge.  Those take about 8 months to grow, so I'll have to put them somewhere I don't mind a long-term resident.

*1/2 C dry adzuki beans
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp powdered lemongrass
salt to taste
*1 C dried vermicelli bean noodles
*1 green onion, finely chopped
*2 Tb fresh mint, chopped
*2 Tb fresh basil, chopped
about 4 leaves lettuce
*16 rice paper wrappers

1.  The day before, start the beans soaking in 3" of water.  After 8 hours, drain.  Refill saucepan with water to cover by at least 1".  Add garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and a pinch of salt.  Bring to a low boil.  Lower heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 2 hours, until very tender.  Drain off most of the water and mash beans, like you were doing refried.  Set aside.

2.  It gets easy after that.  Cook noodles according to package directions, which is probably like cooking pasta but for only 3-5 minutes.  Drain and set aside.

3.  Heat water and soak the rice paper sheets one at a time until pliable.  On a work surface, add a tablespoon of beans, a bit of lettuce (not a whole leaf), a pinch of noodles, and a sprinkle of onion and the herbs.  Roll up into an eggroll (or burrito) shape, tucking in the outsides.  Place on a serving plate and repeat with all of the wrappers and fillings.

4.  If desired, heat 1/2" of oil over medium-high heat and fry rolls for 3 minutes on each side, until crispy.  They're also just fine cold.

5.  Serve within a couple of hours, with peanut dipping sauce.

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.