Friday, January 22, 2021

Pesto Farfalle with Roasted Vegetables

For someone who doesn't eat a lot of pasta - and knows how to make it from scratch - I have a lot of it in the pantry.  I think I only paid for one of the boxes, the Israeli couscous.  That stuff is pricey, so it kind of makes up for the rest of it.

It's seeding time for herbs, so I decided to blow the rest of my dried basil from last year on pesto.  Farfalle works better with a thin sauce, unless you're making some kind of baked casserole.  I decided to use cashews out of the freezer instead of pine nuts so this would qualify as a low-purchase meal.

I did buy an onion and package of snacking tomatoes.  There's something about just-roasted tomatoes that you can't get out of a can.  I did use green beans out of the freezer.

I know this looks like many elements and a lot of work, and it felt like it when I was planning the recipe, but it really isn't because of the overlap.  The vegetables are prepped while the oven preheats and roast while the pasta water boils and the pasta itself cooks. It only takes a few minutes to make the sauce.  Toss together and serve.

*2 C frozen green beans, thawed
1 C grape or other small tomatoes
1 small red onion
2 Tb olive oil
*1/2 C dried basil pesto (or other pesto)
*8 oz dry farfalle pasta

1.  Start preheating oven to 375º and line a baking sheet with foil, parchment, or Silpat for easy cleanup.

2.  Peel the onion and French slice.  Place slices in a medium bowl with green beans and tomatoes.  Toss in 2 Tb olive oil and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet.  Roast 15-20 minutes, until tomatoes are cooked.  Set aside.

3.  While the vegetables are roasting, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

4.  While water is coming to a boil, make pesto.  Really, I had 5 minutes left over.  It doesn't take long.

5.  Return drained pasta to the pot.  Toss in roasted vegetables.  Add pesto and toss to coat.  Serve immediately.

Difficulty rating  π, but a few dishes, including the food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.