Friday, October 9, 2020

Pickled Celery

After attempting to use up my celery in various ways, I went in search of preserving methods.  Turns out you can't boil-bath can it.  There aren't even any reliable pressure canning recipes.  You can, however, make refrigerator pickles from it.

I'm rapidly ending up with a pickle shelf in the fridge again.  It's easy to pickle stuff.  Vinegar, water, sugar, salt, spices.  Takes less than 10 minutes.  I have to remember to eat them.

The recipe I decided on was mainly because the brine will work with nearly anything I choose to throw in there.  When homemade pickles are done, you can re-boil the brine and pour it over something else, until you pickle something that leaves too much flavor behind like ripe tomatoes.  In this case, the celery flavor will just be like I had used celery seed as a spice.

The only white wine vinegar I had in the house was the tarragon vinegar, so I killed off that bottle.  Finally.  You can use distilled vinegar if you choose.  The flavor just won't be as complex.

I had my doubts that 2 cups of brine, 2 cups of celery, and about 1/2 cup of onion slices would fit in a pint jar and used a quart.  It actually came to about 2-1/2 cups, almost 3 before everything settled.  So, yeah.

*2 cloves garlic, peeled
*1/4 tsp dill weed
*1/2 tsp mustard seeds
*1/2 tsp whole peppercorns
*1 bay leaf
*1/4 tsp fennel seed (optional)
*1/4 yellow onion
*2 C sliced celery
*1 C white wine vinegar
1 C water
2 Tb sugar
1 Tb kosher or pickling salt
1.  Into the bottom of a quart container, place garlic, dill, mustard, peppercorns, bay leaf, and fennel seed (I just happen to have a lot).
2.  Slice celery on the bias (diagonal).  It just looks pretty that way.  Slice onion into 2", thin strips.  Toss vegetables together and add to jar.
3.  In a saucepan, bring vinegar, water, sugar, and salt to a boil just long enough to make sure all the solids are dissolved.  Pour over ingredients in jar.  If you have enough brine, the stuff on the bottom will float just a bit, maybe half an inch.  Cover and refrigerate for two days before enjoying.  Stays good for about a month in the fridge.  If you re-boil the brine for a refill, the month starts over.

Makes 1 pt

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.