Sunday, September 6, 2020

Beet Hummus

It's amazing how much oven can go into a cold dinner.  Sure, you can do this recipe with canned beets, but I had some in the garden to pull.  Which brings up another point, make sure you actually have the two beets you think you do before deciding not to buy backups at the market.  Ended up cutting the recipe in half and making the rest of the chickpeas into regular hummus.

I do prefer to use canned chickpeas in hummus instead of soaking and cooking my own.  The texture created during pressure canning breaks down better in the food processor and makes a creamier product.  Similarly, I'm roasting the beet here instead of simmering for a richer flavor and a texture that won't add as much water to the hummus.

The big supermarket was out of tahini.  Sprouts had one unsalted can left, tucked behind the garlic ones.  Both stores were stocked the week before.  I had a similar problem with half the items on my shopping list.  It's like someone knew exactly what I was planning and got to it first.  Soy sauce (not in this recipe) is having a similar issue, as is canned pumpkin.  I should have planted pie pumpkins this summer, but who could anticipate that?  If I can't find canned pumpkin in the next month, I'll just buy a pie pumpkin at Halloween and cook it.

1 15 oz can chickpeas
*2 medium or 3 small beets
*3 cloves garlic
kosher salt to taste
1/2 C unsalted tahini
1/2 tsp paprika
*1/4 C fresh lemon juice
1/2 C olive oil

1.  Preheat oven to 375º.  I actually used the toaster oven, since that was the only thing I was cooking that day.  Wash beets well.  Trim off leaf and taproot ends, then wrap securely in foil.  Roast 20-25 minutes, until softening but not mushy.  Allow to cool, then peel off skin.
2.  Roughly chop beets and garlic.  Add to food processor with chickpeas, lemon juice, paprika, and a bit of salt.  Process until broken down.  Add tahini and run until smooth.  While running, slowly drizzle in oil until desired consistency is reached.  Taste and adjust seasoning.  This could involve more salt, garlic, and/or lemon juice.  It isn't going to taste very beet-y yet.  Chill for at least 2 hours, for flavors to meld.

3.  Serve cold with vegetables and pita.  I sprinkled it with feta because I had some.  It's vegan without.

Makes about 2 C

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.