Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Braised Plantains

I'm sure this is a thing, either in the Caribbean or West Africa, I just couldn't figure out what it's called.  Didn't feel comfortable giving it a non-American label without a source to cite.  All I knew was that I had bought a medium-ripe plantain assuming there was a recipe on the internet for it.  Fine, I'll come up with something on my own.

Green and yellow plantains can be treated like potatoes.  Once they get too heavily in the black, they're just bananas you have to cook first.  What I wanted to do with these was steam them like rose potatoes and finish them off with a light sugary glaze, just enough to bring out the banana flavor.  Kind of like glazed carrots or pearl onions.  These are intended as a side dish.  A heavier sugar glaze would be good for dessert.  I found one recipe that simmered them in coconut milk with cardamom, making it more of a Thai-inspired dish.  I was going for Central American to have with the tortillas and used nutmeg as the spice.
This came together much faster than I was expecting.  I did wish I had bought two plantains, though, so I'm fixing the quantity here.  They look a lot bigger before they're peeled.

2 yellow plantains (some green or black ok)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tb butter
1 tsp sugar
dash of nutmeg

1.  Peel plantains and slice 1/2" thick.  Place in a medium saucepan with 1" of water, the salt, and the lemon juice, to discourage discoloration.
2.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Lower heat to minimum and cook until the slices are easily pierced by a fork, but not mushy, about 5 minutes.  Drain.

3.  Return saucepan to medium heat.  Add butter, sugar, and nutmeg.  Toss slices in butter glaze until coated.  Serve hot.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.