Friday, June 5, 2020

Pickled Asparagus

I confess, I really like canned asparagus.  Not all the time, but sometimes the tangy mushiness of it is just what I want.  Growing up, we had it more often than fresh.  This is the opposite of my opinion of canned green beans, which I can't stand.  The texture and flavor profile are similar, so I don't understand it either.  More of the zucchini vs eggplant issue.

I had half a pound of asparagus in the fridge and no idea what to do with it.  I'm really trying not to waste anything, with food security so low, and went in search of ways to preserve it.  Throwing out 2 oz of cheddar cheese really disturbed me.  I know a lot of people accept tossing old items in their fridges, but that's not how I live.

Food in Jars has a recipe for pickled asparagus that starts with 4 pounds.  Unless I'm throwing a party, I will never have four pounds of asparagus in the house.  Even then.  Time to do a bunch of 1/8 food math.  I'm scaling this post for one bundle, usually a touch over a pound, so it fills one pint jar.
I didn't process mine, or the pickled artichokes I made the same day, since I was planning to use them within a month.  The top shelf of my fridge is full of various pickles, like the rest of the sauerkraut and kimchi I made at the start of quarantine.  Plus, I still have daikon and carrot pickles in the pantry. I need to make more salads and cold dinners.  That's easier with warmer weather.

*1 bundle asparagus (approx 1 lb)
1 C cider vinegar
1 Tb pickling salt (or 1-1/2 Tb kosher)
*1 lemon slice
1 Tb pickling spice (generally coriander, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, mustard, bay leaf)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, peeled

1.  Prepare boiling water bath and one pint jar, rim, and lid.  For non-processing, wash container and lid well.

2.  Wash asparagus.  Measuring back from the tips, trim to fit in jar with 1/2" head space.  I didn't like how much I was tossing and kept the back halves, minus the tough part you always throw away.  Blanch in boiling water for 10 seconds.  Drain and place in ice water to stop cooking.

3.  Combine vinegar, salt, and 1 C water in a pot and bring to a boil.  If not processing, add spices and garlic.

4a.  If processing, place lemon slice at bottom of jar.  Add spices and garlic to the jar, then pack in asparagus spears tip-down.  The Ball book has that helpful hint, so you don't break off the tips when you pull the spears out of the jar.  Pour brine over spears, leaving 1/2" headspace.  Remove any air bubbles with a chopstick.  Wipe rim, apply lid and ring, and process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
4b.  If not processing, place asparagus in simmering brine and cook for 5 minutes.  The vibrant green spears will pick up a brownish hue from the vinegar.  Still place lemon at bottom of jar.  Gently transfer cooked asparagus into the jar tips-down.  Pour brine into jar, but don't worry about headspace issues or even if the brine covers the spears.  Allow to cool on the counter half an hour, then put on a lid and refrigerate.
5.  For both pickles, allow to sit at least 24 hours before digging in.  The flavors need a little time to meld.  Open (or never sealed) jars are good for weeks in the fridge.  Processed jars properly stored are good for one year.

Makes 1 pint, about 4-6 servings

Difficulty rating  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.