Thursday, December 5, 2019

Curried Chicken Salad

A hundred years ago, an area five miles from me was the celery-growing capital of the U.S.  Before I was born, the last celery farm was sold to build houses.   Nowadays, the juicing craze has driven up the price of celery so that even locally sourced produce is expensive.  Whenever I buy celery, I insist on finding a way to use all of it before it spoils.

That said, I also did buy that small container of curry powder.  When I decided to make a cold dinner, this came to mind for the protein.  It certainly works for sandwich filling or as part of a green salad.  This is just what I came up with using one can of chicken and items on hand.

Most curried chicken salads use mango chutney as the sweetener.  I used a spoonful of kumquat marmalade instead because I didn't feel like buying and chopping up a mango.  You could use orange marmalade, or even no sweetener other than raisins.  The point of the fruit is to balance the spice of the curry.

1 9 oz (or closest to it) can chunk white chicken
*1 rib celery
*1 stalk green onion
*2 Tb chopped fresh parsley
*1/2 tsp curry powder, or to taste
dash black pepper
*2 Tb raisins
*2 Tb mango chutney or 1 Tb orange marmalade
*2-4 Tb mayonnaise

1.  Dice celery and finely slice onion.  Open can of chicken and drain.
2.  In a bowl, combine all ingredients except mayo.  Add in the mayo a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.  Chill until ready to serve.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.