Friday, April 29, 2016

Cheddar Potato Gratin

After the success of my first potato gratin, I decided to invent one using what I had learned and what was on hand.  Passover is the only time of year I buy that five-pound bag of potatoes.  While it is inexpensive at any time of the year, I'm not a huge potato eater and don't want it to go bad because I hate wasting food, no matter how much money I saved.  If this didn't work, I still had about a quarter of the bag left.

I went light with this one, mainly because I'm saving the cream to make ice cream and didn't think to pick up more.  Regular milk won't leave the potatoes as creamy, but I did have some leftover Alfredo sauce to use up that I tossed over it after the photo.  The gratin itself is cheddar potatoes, which I have no problem with.

1 lb russet potatoes
*1 C milk
1/4 tsp paprika
salt
1/4 C fresh parsley, chopped
1 C shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Grease an 8"x8" casserole and preheat the oven to 375º.  Thinly slice potatoes.  Arrange half on bottom of casserole.


2.  Sprinkle potatoes with paprika, parsley, half of the cheese, and a light sprinkling of salt.  Top with remaining potatoes and the rest of the cheese.

3.  Pour milk over all.  Cover casserole with foil tight enough to make the dish steam itself.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes to crisp up the top.  Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.