Friday, April 24, 2015

Peach-Topped Matzoh Brei

I found a can of peaches in the pantry that I had planned to have with cottage cheese during Passover (packed in water, not corn syrup).  After considering peach cobbler, turnovers, and other baked goods, I decided to use them for a KLP dish, after all (ignore the bacon, and the part where I used the rendered bacon fat to grease the pan).

I was playing that game you do when you've worked too many days in a row, "How long can I go without grocery shopping?"  Rooting through the freezer, tomato plants, and pantry, the only thing I have bought since Seder was a quart of milk and a partial restocking of my supply of grains.  There may have been a couple of bananas in there, and probably a carton of orange juice.  Basically, less than $20 of groceries in two weeks.  Yep, we're down to canned peaches on matzoh.  I'm going grocery shopping in a couple of hours, once the markets open.  My boss wants his new 5-day baker (me, apparently) to come in at 2am every day instead of 3.  It wouldn't seem like an hour makes that much difference that early in the morning, but it does on your days off when you're still getting up before 3.  My last load of laundry is already beeping at me to be folded at 5am and I'm doing this post now because I'm bored waiting for the paper to get here.

*3 pieces matzoh
3 eggs
dash salt
*1 15 oz can sliced peaches in water, drained
2 Tb brown sugar
margarine
dash each nutmeg and cinnamon

1.  Break up matzoh into thumbnail-sized pieces and place in a bowl.  Pour about 1/2 C very hot water over them and let it absorb while you beat the eggs.

2.  Beat eggs in another bowl until fluffy.  Add about 1/4 C water and a dash of salt and beat again to make the brei base.

3.  Drain matzoh pieces and place in egg mix to soak.  Preheat a 10" skillet over medium and melt 1 Tb butter.  Swirl to coat.

4.  Add matzoh mix to skillet and cook until eggs are done, stirring often for even cooking.  It's going to look like some botched, half-burnt scrambled eggs.  This is normal.  Remove to serving dish while you make the peach topping, because matzoh brei is crazy hot off the burner and needs to sit a couple of minutes anyway so you don't burn your mouth.

5.  Add another tablespoon of margarine to the pan and dump the drained peaches on top of it.  As they start to warm, add the brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.  Stir to coat evenly.  As soon as the juices reach a low boil, the topping is ready.  Spoon over eggs and serve.

Makes 3 large or 4 small servings

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.