Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Lavender Jelly

It was either this or rose petal jam, and my roses aren't doing so well at the moment.  Back to the jar of dried lavender blossoms.

This recipe is different from the jams and preserves I usually make in that the flavoring ingredient is strained out of the final product.  Also, you need to buy pectin.  Flowers generally don't contain any natural pectin and it won't set up.  You would get a lovely, sweet lavender syrup.

I cut this down a lot because I didn't want 5 cups of jelly.  The original recipe makes that much because it's a full box of pectin.

Once again, the color of the blossoms did not transfer into the final product.  I got out the food coloring and came up with a color I liked.  Then I had a minor accident with the blue bottle that left one finger an interesting shade for two days.  At least it came off my white kitchen floor.

2 Tb dried lavender flowers
1 C sugar
3/4 C water
1 Tb lemon juice
1 Tb pectin powder

1.  The day before, combine sugar and lavender in a sealable container.  Shake a couple of times as the day progresses to make Lavender Sugar.

2.  Bring water, sugar, and lavender to a boil.  Remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes.  Strain out flowers and discard.

3.  Return pot to heat.  Stir in lemon juice and pectin, making sure the pectin dissolves completely, and bring to a hard boil.  Boil for 2 minutes for soft-gel (240º), 4 minutes for medium-gel (248º).  Pour into sterilized jars and let cool to room temperature before refrigerating.

Makes about 1 cup

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.