Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Baby Artichoke

This was supposed to be my dandelion greens post, but they are taking forever to grow large enough to eat.  Silly me, I thought that they would grow like, well, weeds.  I could have harvested some out of neighbors' yards, but I don't know what kinds of chemicals everyone uses.  My pot of organically-grown weeds is the safest bet next to spending big bucks to buy them at the farmers' market.

The basil in the window is extremely happy.  I thinned it down to three stalks.  Most gardening websites say you should only have one basil plant per pot, but I don't have that much faith in my ability to keep a plant alive.  The ones I planted outside aren't doing as well, but they're still trying.  They aren't getting as much water as the indoor ones, plus the soil isn't as good.

After a year of hoping that the gardener wouldn't pull the artichoke plant, thinking it was a weed, I finally have one artichoke bud!  It would take an electron microscope to get a good picture of it, but it counts as a success in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.