Saturday, February 4, 2012

Reuben's Marinade

Reuben was Papa Smurf's business partner.  I don't know if he created this particular version of a teriyaki marinade, but that's what we always called it.  I've only had it on steak, but there's a note on the recipe card that it works with chicken and fish.  Reuben loves salmon, so I'm sure it tastes good on it.

This is definitely a grilling marinade.  Leave the meat in it overnight, then heat up the barbecue.  The honey carmelizes into the meat and really brings out the juices.

I decided to try out the garlic press.  It's been in the drawer for a couple of decades, but I never think to use it because I never had one before.  There's another press of some kind in there.  It's either a larger garlic press or a small potato ricer.  Anyway, I wasn't impressed.  Yes, the garlic came out very fine with almost no effort, but half of the clove was still in there, and I had to re-press the mashed bits.  Even still, not all of it went through the holes and I just dropped the smushed parts into the marinade.  And then I had to clean the press.  In all, I didn't save any time, but my nails did not pick up the garlic smell.

*1/4 C soy sauce
1/2 C vegetable oil
3 Tb honey
1 Tb white vinegar
1/4 Tb ground ginger (I used fresh because I had some, and it was really good)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 C onion, minced

Beat together soy sauce, oil, honey, and vinegar.  Stir in ginger, garlic, and onion.  Pour over meat and marinate - covered, in the fridge - at least 8 hours.  Turn meat every few hours to distribute marinade evenly.  Cook according to recipe.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.