Sunday, January 8, 2012

Williamsburg Lodge Corn Chowder

Like the name says, I got this recipe from The Williamsburg Cookbook.  It's rustic, and tastes more like the pork than I thought it would.  I don't have a picture because the contrast wasn't very good.  I should have used the lavender bowls.  Still waiting for someone to comment that I have a seemingly endless variety of dishes and serving platters.  Mom was a hoarder.

One thing I changed was that I puréed the soup before serving.  Not perfectly smooth, just enough that you didn't have to chew the potatoes.  I wanted them in for thickening, but not as a visible ingredient.

I also subbed bacon fat for the salt pork.  Maybe that's why I tasted it.  If you're anti-lard in soups, sub in olive oil.  You'll probably have to add more salt than I did.

3 oz salt pork, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 rib of celery, chopped
1-1/2 C potatoes, diced
2 C chicken broth
2 C cream-style corn
2 C milk
1/4 C butter
salt and white pepper to taste

1.  Fry the salt pork until brown.  Add the onion and sauté over medium heat 5 minutes.

2.  Add the celery, potatoes, broth, and 1 C of water and simmer until the potatoes are done.

3.  Add the corn and simmer 5 minutes.  Add the milk and butter and bring to temperature.

4.  Taste and add salt and white pepper as needed.  If desired, purée.  Serve hot.

Serves 6 as an appetizer, 4 for a meal

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.