Saturday, May 9, 2015

Carrot Cake

Some of the people at work requested carrot cake, which I found surprising because they're all into healthy eating and exercise.  This is as close as most of them get to eating poorly.  And we work at a bakery...I know.  I decided to do this recipe as cupcakes for easier portion control, even though icing a layer cake isn't all that hard.  It also gave me the freedom to cut any recipe I chose in half and make less.  Oh, and because we were at a mandatory evening meeting and I was only going to get three hours of sleep before my next shift at 1 am.  Yes, I'm the one who wanted to be a baker….

When I went online to research recipes, my internet went out.  I actually had to - gasp - get out a cookbook!  In the process, I rediscovered the Treasury of Country Cooking, which is three small cookbooks from the '70s bound as one.  I have to make more of those recipes.  It's all down-home stuff that would have been common in the '60s.  Real comfort food, and most can be made without any fancy gadgets.  That didn't stop me from shredding the carrot in the food processor and whipping the frosting in the stand mixer, but neither is required.  The third book's carrot cake recipe was what I had in mind, including the recipe for frosting.

The only thing I ended up not liking about this version was the lack of height.  The recipe specifically states that it is for a rectangular pan, but I was making muffins.  They came out flat.  Moist, properly baked, and maybe a little more on the nutty side than I expected, but as flat as you wish more cakes would end up.  If you want crowned muffins, or even some height to a full sheet, add a teaspoon of baking powder to the recipe.

Cake
2 C sugar
2 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
[1 tsp baking powder]
1 tsp salt
1 Tb cinnamon
1-1/2 C vegetable oil
4 eggs
*3 C grated carrot (about 3 large)
*1 C chopped nuts (optional)
1 tsp vanilla

1.  Grease and flour a 13" x 9" x 2" cake pan or two 8" round pans or prepare muffin pans for 2 dozen.  Preheat oven to 350º.

2.  Sift together sugar, flour, soda, [baking powder,] salt, and cinnamon.

3.  In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, and vanilla.  Slowly stir into flour mixture until moistened.  Add carrots and nuts and mix until evenly distributed.

4.  Spread in pan(s) or portion into muffin liners.  Bake for 20 minutes, then start testing every 5 for doneness with a toothpick.  The muffins should be ready before 30, the large cake as long as 40.  Cool in pan.  The large cake may be iced in the pan, or you can turn out the smaller versions to ice separately.

Icing
1/2 C butter (not margarine)
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar

1.  In stand mixer with paddle, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.  Add vanilla and incorporate.  Beat in powdered sugar a little at a time until frosting is stiff and fluffy.  If desired, set some aside to color for those cute little carrot decorations.  I was tired and reserved a handful of whole walnuts.

2.  If frosting is too soft, refrigerate for half an hour before using.  A frosted cake must be refrigerated or eaten within 4 hours.  Unfrosted, it can be left at room temperature for 24 hours.

Serves 16 to 24, depending on shape and portioning

Difficulty rating :-0 for shredding/grating the carrots

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.