Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Fudgy Brownies

I decided to make a half-batch of hamantaschen, leaving me with half a can of filling and an egg white.  That was enough filling for this recipe, also from Solo.  I did have to separate a couple more eggs, but we'll get into that in the next post.

I'm not going to lie, brownies are hard.  A single minute can mean the difference between not done and inedibly overdone.  The edges can be hard, while the middle is runny.  I hoped that, by replacing the butter with prune butter-substitute, that would turn the odds in my favor.

Oh, did I bury the lead?  These brownies are very low fat, high in fiber, and have slightly fewer calories than the average brownie.  Ta-da!

4 oz unsweetened chocolate (1 pkg)
*1/2 C prune butter substitue
3 egg whites
1 C sugar
1 tsp salt
*1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C flour
*1/4 C chopped walnuts (optional)

1.  Melt chocolate, either over a double boiler or in the microwave.  The microwave is far easier.  30 seconds, stir, 30 seconds, stir… until liquid.  Start preheating the oven to 350º and pan-spray the heck out of an 8"x8" baking dish.

2.  In mixer with paddle, beat together prune filling, egg whites, sugar, salt, and vanilla.  Beat in chocolate until everything is well-mixed.  Beat in flour.

3.  Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth out top.  Sprinkle with nuts.  Bake for about 30 minutes.  I started checking after 25.  The brownie should spring back about 2 inches in from the edge and be mostly set in the middle.  Remember, it will continue to cook after it's removed from the oven because of the residual heat of the pan.  This is less of an issue with a metal dish, but I use a Pyrex glass one.

4.  Cool pan completely before slicing.  If you can get the brownie out intact, it's easier to slice, but in the pan is fine.  The recipe says 12 servings, but I should have cut it in 16.  They were kind of big.

Yield depends on size of pieces

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.