Sunday, January 24, 2016

Pear Butter

I found some Allspice I didn't realize I had in the back of the spice cabinet when I was tidying up after all the cooking in December.  When I decided to do Pear Butter as a pizza sauce (see prosciutto et brie pizza for one with apple butter) I was thrilled to find out that most recipes used the spice.  I was also happy to see that the concept is just like making applesauce and reducing it into something thick and spreadable.  I can do that.

I can't believe I spent an hour on 1/3 C of sauce, but the large-batch recipes put the purée in a slow cooker for 12 hours, so I guess it's not too bad.  It was exactly how much I needed for the pizzas, so none of it went to waste.  And that's the best kind of recipe.

1 large or 2 small bartlett pears (about 3/4 lb)
1 TB honey
1/2 tsp orange zest
dash allspice

1.  If using a blender or food processor, peel and core the pear.  For a food mill, just cut it in chunks.

2.  Place in a small saucepan with just enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cook until pear is very tender, about 10 minutes.  Drain.

3.  Either run through the blender or press through a food mill on the fine or medium setting, depending on what texture you want.  Return mash to pot and add spice, zest, and honey.
4.  Bring to a low boil and reduce to desired consistency.  Stir frequently to avoid scorching.  This will take at least half an hour, and probably closer to a full hour.  Remove from heat and chill.

Note:  This is not a canning recipe.  It is a small batch intended to be used within a few days or frozen.

Makes about 1/3 C

Difficulty rating  :)

Oh, and this is the pizza I used it on (before baking): buckwheat crust, pear butter, balsamic onions, wilted spinach, beets, brie, and walnuts.  Yes, beets.  Sweet and tangy both go well with brie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.