Thursday, May 16, 2013

Skillet Fried Chicken

I hated to waste all that oil from the beignets, so I added a bit more and made fried chicken.  There's actually more to the story.  My roommate's mother died, and eating fried chicken was her way of coming to terms with it.  Everyone's got their own way of dealing with loss.  Mine was this blog.

We used to do an oven-fried chicken when I was growing up.  It involved shaking the chicken and coating in a bag.  The recipes I found online were very different.  This recipe is partially based on Alton Brown's, except I couldn't bring myself to use shortening.  I hear it produces a very tasty and crispy product, but I can't stand the smell of boiling Crisco.  Technique-wise, I used this video.  (Sorry about the commercial.)  I really liked the idea of chopping the breasts in half so they cook more evenly, and it was much easier than I expected.  My cleaver must be very sharp.

I may have turned them one too many times, because the skin started to fall apart.  Let's go with the one-turn theory and stick with it.

3 chicken half-breasts, cut in half (or mix it up with dark-meat pieces)
1 C milk
1 Tb apple cider vinegar
1 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
*1 tsp paprika
*1/4 tsp black pepper
*1/2 tsp dried sage
*oil for frying

1.  Place chicken pieces in a bowl.  Separately, combine milk and vinegar and let sit 5 minutes to make soured milk.  Pour over chicken.  Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.
2.  In a pan, combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and sage.  Start heating 1/2" of oil in a 12", heavy, high-edged skillet to 325º.

3.  When oil is hot, pick up chicken pieces one at a time.  Let milk drip off, then dredge completely in flour.  Place in skillet.  Repeat until pan is full and sizzling.  You'll notice that the oil is much higher now.  Cook on one side until golden, about 12 minutes.  Turn to cook other side until center of pieces are 165º on a thermometer.  Allow to drain on a rack over a sheet pan and serve once they have had a few minutes to cool.

Serves 3-4

Difficulty rating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.