Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Black-Currant Jam

I've never tried to make a jam from dried fruit before.  I wish I had chosen a fruit that did not taste so much like prunes, but the technique should be sound.

There's some cheating involved in this.  I wasn't sure this would set up, so I used some orange marmalade as a contributing flavor.  It was from one of those cute little jars you get at a hotel breakfast.  And I only needed one ounce to make this work.

1/2 C dried currants
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C water
2 Tb (1 oz) orange marmalade

1.  In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, warm water and sugar until sugar dissolves and it begins to boil.

2.  Add currants and stir together.  Allow to boil until currants have plumped, the water has taken on some color, and the bubbles are at least a quarter of an inch in diameter.  Stir every minute or two to prevent scorching.

3.  Remove from heat.  Stir in marmalade.  Chill.

Makes 1 cup

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.