Monday, February 8, 2016

Enchilada Sauce

I was going to make some turkey enchiladas and went to look up my sauce recipe.  No offense to those who read this blog, but I mainly use it to make it easier to find my own recipes.  At least, if I ever posted one.  Really, I didn't post it the one time I made my own sauce?  I do remember reading the back of the can for an ingredients list, but not if that's what I made.  Sheesh, off to the internet to figure out where I got it.

I think I did reverse-engineer from the can, but the recipes gave me a good starting point.  Lightly thickened, heavily seasoned tomato sauce.  And the common thread of use as much chili powder as suits your taste.  I would say you could also spice it up with a purée of jalapeños or green chilis, or dried red chili flakes.  As for me, the spiciest thing I put in mine was paprika instead of chili powder.  The sign of a confident cook is when she changes a recipe.  New or uncertain cooks only follow recipes exactly.

1 Tb oil
1 Tb flour
1 C tomato sauce
1 C water or vegetable stock
2 Tb chili powder
1/2 tsp celery salt
*1 tsp garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/2 tsp cumin

1.  Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.  Add spices and cook until fragrant.  Add flour and cook into a crumbly paste.  Stir in water and tomato sauce.

2.  Cook mixture until spices are thoroughly mixed and sauce comes to a light boil.  If it becomes too thick for your use, add a little more water.  When sauce is desired consistency, remove from heat.  Can be used immediately or stored for up to one week.

Makes about 1 pint

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.