Friday, November 14, 2014

Everyday Fancy

I haven't been doing a lot of cooking because of NaNo.  As in, barely being able to feed myself.   I went almost two weeks without grocery shopping, when I usually go every three to four days so that I have fresh produce in the house.  Used up almost everything in the freezer and about half of my pantry staples.  Eggs and toast for lunch, until I ran out of bread.  You know it's bad when you're checking the tomato plants just to have something to eat.  Mmm, baked tomato with mozzarella.  I finally have some time to go grocery shopping this morning and to cook this evening, but I'm going to stock up on enough food to last until Thanksgiving, which I won't be able to host this year because of work.  Got invited out, and I'll take my pumpkin chiffon pie.

I made some meatballs with leftover sweet & sour sauce over rice.  There was more veal on sale, so I did another veal & eggplant parmigiana bake.  I really liked that the first time.  But really, after working six days a week and writing 2,000 words a day, all I want to do is pick up something on the way home.

A lot of people feel that way, but it isn't a healthy way to eat long term.  So here's something that can be put together out of packaged foods that isn't so bad for you.  Personally, I tore the lettuce off a fresh head of green leaf, got the seeds from a whole pomegranate, and roasted the pumpkin seeds, but there is no reason it can't be thrown together in two minutes or less.

1 package salad greens, rinsed
1 8 oz container pomegranate arils
1/2 C roasted pumpkin seeds
2 Tb balsamic vinegar

1.  Place lettuce in serving bowl (or divide into servings).

2.  Sprinkle generously with pomegranate seeds, then pumpkin seeds.

3.  Drizzle top with balsamic vinegar and allow to sit for a minute so the vinegar can make its way through the salad.

4.  Serve before seeds become soggy.

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.