Monday, October 27, 2014

Butternut and Cilantro Soup

I caught a cold and wanted soup.  I just didn't want soup with that much salt in it.  Sometimes I do, but this cold wasn't that bad and I only needed a hot soup to go down my throat.  So I bought a package of pre-chopped butternut squash and started rooting through my fridge and pantry for ways to make it into an interesting lunch with not too much effort.

Then I realized that, as long as I wasn't feverish, there was no such thing as me making something without effort.  Cooking is an effort of love for me, even if it's just for myself.  It nourishes both body and soul.  Still, I bought the squash already prepped.  No reason to add a cut-off finger to the pot.

This is very much like my chilled butternut squash soup, except I added cilantro and basil to it.  I should have bought a lime and put in a splash of orange juice instead.  It's really a carrot soup recipe made with butternut.  Whatever, I was sick and it sounded palatable.

1/2 C diced onion
1 Tb olive oil
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 20 oz)
2 C water
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp dried basil or 1 Tb fresh basil leaves, chopped
juice of 1 lime or 1 Tb orange juice
1/2 C cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Salt and white pepper to taste
Plain Greek yogurt and cilantro for garnish

1.  In medium saucepan, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add squash, water, nutmeg, and basil.  Stir together, cover, and simmer until squash is tender, about 30 minutes.

2.  In blender, purée mixture in batches until very smooth.  Return to saucepan.  Stir in lime juice and cilantro and return to a simmer.  Cook 5 minutes for flavors to meld, then taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

3.  Serve hot, garnished with yogurt and cilantro if desired.

Difficulty rating  :)  (for cutting up the squash)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.