Friday, September 30, 2011

Fig Preserves

As I was driving up to Ventura, Melinda Lee was talking about fig season.  Before I came home, I had to stop at a roadside stand and buy some.

Figs have a short season because they are highly perishable.  They also do not ripen any further off the tree, so make sure the ones you get are soft.

Figs are great in salads.  I had fig ice cream in Greece.  There was a one-pint jar of whole fig preserves at the stand for $8.99.  I don't care if it did win a blue ribbon at the Ventura County Fair, the four figs I bought to make nearly the same amount were only $2.

I'm using the skillet jam method because these are moist fruits.  The preserves will be chunky, because preserves are generally whole fruits.  I cut these in pieces to make them easier to serve.  Jam is generally crushed or puréed fruit.  Jelly is from the juice of a fruit, with no pulp.  The way I put preserves in containers is to put in the whole fruit first, then add enough juice to cover.  Any remaining juice, I boil a couple of minutes more and put it in a separate jar as jelly.  Jellies make good glazes, sauces, and even pancake syrup.

1/2 lb (about 4) whole figs
1/2 lb sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

1.  Cut figs into quarters.  If pieces are still large, cut them again.

2.  Put figs and sugar in a saucepan.  Over low heat, bring to a low boil.  Stir frequently to avoid scorching.  Cook until juices are clear, at least 5 minutes.  Stir in lemon juice and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

3.  Have clean storage jars ready.  Pour jam into an 8" skillet.  Bring to a boil.  Skim off any impurities.  Boil until bubbles begin to get large and clear.  Spoon into jars, cool to room temperature on the counter. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Makes about 1-1/2 cups

Difficulty rating  π

No comments:

Post a Comment

I got tired of having to moderate all the spam comments and put back the verification. Sorry if it causes hassles.